Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Barns and Wealth...

I just heard a great conversation on the Dave Ramsey show and had to mention it...

Caller wondered is saving money, investing, becomes "storing into barns" vs. investing in the kingdom.  At what point does prudence become selfishness.

Dave's answer was pretty good, and worth listening to (at the end of the 2nd hour of 2/16/11 broadcast), and I can't say it right... ...so I will refrain from trying.

He did quote Larry Burkett in saying, "The difference between saving and hoarding is attitude."  He explained that it is a question of who owns the barns.  The Bible is repeatedly clear that saving and investing is prudent and expected. However, if you have "ownership" of these barns of stores in your heart, then it doesn't really matter what things you try to do with them thereafter, you will not find peace.  We are just the stewards - like in the parable of the talents.

The bottom line to me is that the amount of money that you are entrusted with is determined entirely by the Master; and He already knows both what He intends for you to do with wealth and what you will actually do with it.

He will not fail to finish His work in you, and while His many blessings are too abundant to recount, He does not over-indulge His kids to their detriment.  If it is bad for you, then He will not necessarily grant your requests... ...but He is faithful to provide, particularly comforting to those that are truly seeking His will.

The question is, "Are you being faithful with the Master's blessings, or will you, like me have to learn about it through experience and heartache?"  I don't know about you, but I can find plenty of room for improvement...

6 comments:

Crystal said...

I don't think I had thought of investing like that... but its a great question.

Craig and Heather said...

Ryan,
My thought on this subject starts from this verse: (may seem like an odd place to start, but I'll explain)
Eph 4:28 ESV
(28) Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.

Ok, to explain:
He really does own everything. When I think I "own the barn" I am stealing. Rather than count it as my own, I should consider my blessings to be on loan from Him.
We have been blessed in order to bless. I can't help anyone if I don't have anything with which to help.

The attitude in Eph is that rather than take what is not mine, I am to work so that I can give.

Make sense?

Craig

SLANCE said...

So I am the student in this subject. Obviously money is a big deal to God, because Jesus spoke a lot about it. It is wise to be prudent with your money, I think this would mean not to be wasteful (which I am quite wasteful at times). But what if I was like the widow who gave all she had in a offering...is that prudent? it does not seem prudent to me.
this obviously comes down to attitude, like you said...and Jesus praised her for it, and I would even go further to say that God will take care of those who give in that manner. So now the whole point to this long-winded comment...wouldn't it be better for me to invest in the Kingdom, and in giving to others, rather than to invest in retirement (prudence)? I could say that God wants us to be prudent and invest in retirement, which is good...but I could also say that I trust that God is going to take care of me no matter what, and put my priority in giving to those in need with what God has blessed me with... probably the same thing you are talking about, but I guess the question is left unanswered for me, what is the heart of God?
it would seem to me self-denial is what I am called to? or is it that being prudent helps us to come to a spot of being able to give to those in need? You know that I am not prudent with money, and I could probably give a lot more if I was...However, if I was being prudent, would I give as much as I am giving now, or would I keep it for the barns? When I went to Peru, one of the people who gave the most money to the group, had to sacrifice to do it (without blinking), and it changed my perspective completely about giving - it has changed my life, and I will never forget it! and now, I have the chance to do the same...and I want to do the same! = ) I guess I am confused which is God's heart? Can it be both?

Shaggy said...

I am not real learned on money matters outside of being extremely generous...

How is that for simple? Not good? Ok, I will continue... :)

I see what Lance is saying, maybe because he is my other half.

Realizing there are scriptures on money matters that I are not so familiar to me, I will continue with these thoughts...

The one who gives generously will receive many time as much in the life to come - and according to Malachi and Proverbs, will be blessed even in this life. Solomon says everything we labor for in this life is in vain, Jesus says moth and rust destroy and thieves take away in regards to our "stuff" in this world. Both come to the conclusion to serve God and his kingdom is the only thing that matters. So as Craig said, are we blessing others with what we have receive from the Lord? Ryan has said similar things many times - stay out of debt so you are free to help others. So, back to Ryan's question - "Are we being faithful with our blessings?" I think this means something different to each of us though. One of us may picture a steward investing, the other thinks giving it all back to the Lord. Maybe there is a better question? Which kingdom are we investing in? Does that make a difference?

The heart of it is the heart - right? I am with both of you on this - give it all away for God's glory! Or invest it for God's glory! Then give it all away later! :)

Life changing stories:
http://themostexcellentwayblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/well-worth-your-time.html

Terah said...

I have to disagree with my husband...

Lance does not get to be his other half!

(;

Ryan said...

These are exaclty the things that I am trying to convey, guys! Thanks for thinking along with me, out loud, so to speak.

I believe that you have to honor God first and foremost, but if that means to give in the manner of the Pharisees, then you miss the point. Jesus praised them for tithing from even their herbs, but they left the poor untended.

With a little more enlightenment, I hope to keep working this out on later posts...

Also see the recent post, http://leastexpectations.blogspot.com/2011/02/envy.html, which, I think addresses some of this.

Ryan