Saturday, June 11, 2011

Local flora...

I got a special treat today - our five year old (who just lost her first tooth yesterday) wanted very badly to help me cutting wood today.  She had to talk very adamantly to convince me, but once there I was really impressed - she didn't want to be around the loud saw, but otherwise, she got right down to business whenever I stopped it.

We were rained out twice, but between working and ducking weather, we were treated to this little number.  I think it is Cypripedium montanum sometimes called the Mountain Lady’s Slipper.  I have not seen many of these - only one or two, perhaps, but it is not a terribly rare species.  There are a certain number of related species of this type of orchid that are rare - even endangered... ...don't pick them or disturb them.  I'm pretty sure that the attorney general will visit you. 



Keep your eyes open right now while they are in bloom if you want to see one.

No comments: