I got to pretend to be a photographer a few weeks ago and am just now getting a moment to post stuff from this summer - and comments on others' posts too.
Before you look too closely, I need to make a few disclosures...
- That day was a smokey one, so all the pics started out gray and blue.
- I was in a chase plane that could not keep up easily, and had only 2 clear angles to shoot from. Distance was difficult to maintain as was angle... ...often you got one or the other, not both.
- Airplanes move. Imagine trying to shoot from a boat plowing through small wakes and you get the idea. My shoulders were sore from holding the camera when I got back.
- I always try to expose for the brightest part of the composition. When you shoot airplanes, you are often shooting a brilliant white or highly reflective surface. Couple this with the motion of everything in your shot and you might want to bump the shutter speed - that would be mistake #1. You DO NOT want to show a pilot a beautiful picture of his airborne masterpiece with a "frozen" prop! Nice, round discs are the thing to have - "it ain't a glider!"
- My wife quite literally saved these pics with her instructions on editing - and I got maybe a half dozen that are "good-enough" - out of a possible 400 that I shot.
- I shot the whole thing without considering a different white balance. Might have helped!
Most of these were shot at 1/125, which makes holding the camera steady VERY critical. I found through the shoot that I could go up to about 1/350 and still keep the prop moving. Next time, huh? I hope there is one.
Lastly, I want to thank everyone involved in this. Along with the photoshoot we took a soon-to-be-deployed soldier (army) for a flight - as a "Thanks for serving gesture". I am grateful on many levels to have been a part of this.




3 comments:
Very cool hun! I couldn't believe they were so sharp! You did a great job!
Good to see you in a plane and shooting pics! It suits you:)
Those are some nice shots Ryan
I recognize the scenery, too
Looks like an exciting afternoon.
The white sure stands out in the first one.
Craig
Post a Comment