Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Attitude – Cont’d

Peter says pretty much the same thing again in the following chapter... …But seems to have an added twist that is a little clarifying.

1Pe 3:14-17
Anyway, in an effort to be concise (and at the risk of losing something)...

The basis of our honor to governors (authorities and their laws both) is our honor of God Himself. He sets up kings and deposes them…

1Ch 29:11-12
(11) Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all.
(12) Both riches and honor come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all.


Proverbs 16: 12-15

There are lots more – I certainly have not exhausted this study. No kings have been set up without His oversight.

Have there not been evil kings? I have to wonder how Peter could have written what he did here, while under the boot of Rome.

Daniel 9:12-14

The passage in Daniel is one way that we might be able understand – though it is about Israel, particularly. We see that in spite of warnings, the people did not repent. They did not turn.

The often quoted passage, "…if my people who are called by my name will turn from their wicked ways…" is just as applicable. I would note that this too is Israel, but I believe in the principle of the matter – that God pays attention to His children.

This is not to say that His children will not experience persecution, trial or difficulty. Peter seems to be writing to people who were facing this. Instead of telling them to revolt, he tells them to what?!

So there are two types of suffering – That which is deserved, and that which is for righteousness' sake. Peter admonishes us to be of the latter version…

Finally, Paul really hits this in Romans 13… The whole chapter is commentary on this idea.

I am "free" as a citizen in this country to debate ideas, to vote my conscience and to a lesser degree than at earlier times to speak freely. I am responsible as a Christian to be a good citizen, supporting and honoring the authorities and laws insofar as they honor God. I am not free as a Christian to arbitrarily follow the laws that I like and discard the ones that I do not.

This is one reason that it is so important to take your voting seriously. J

On the flip side, it is also one reason that I should mind my manners in the political realm of ideas.

No comments: