Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Attitudes…

I keep having to check it. You who know me well enough, are fully aware that I have some strong opinions about political happenings. What follows may be something of a surprise, but it is ultimately where I put my final opinion… …aside.

1Pe 2:11-21

(11) Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

(12) Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

(13) Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;

(14) Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.

(15) For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:

(16) As free, and not using your liberty for a cloak of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.

(17) Honor all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king.

(18) Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.

(19) For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.

(20) For what glory is
it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for
it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

(21) For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:


Take note of 13 and 14… Could be a prickly one, but what do you think? Even without a study of the Greek in this, I need more humility. But where is the balance? Fear God. Honor the king. Hmmmm…

We have looked a lot at our liberty as Christians in church lately, so 16 is a perfect blend into that topic.

20 reminds me of Job in taking the good and the bad with humility before God. As if that isn't enough, 21 finishes pulling the rug out from under me – Christ who could have smitten those who killed Him and started over, subjected Himself to the agony and shame of the cross.

Praying for our 2nd Monday… enjoy the coffee and leave a tip?

God Bless!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I instantly thought of the firey furnace. "They" would not worship idols and God protected them.

My understanding would be that honoring someone does not mean doing everything they ask you to do.

It wouldn't be honoring your wife if she asked you to spend all your savings on something frivolous and you did it.

I don't really know if that's what you were thinking about or if this even applys to your post but this is where my little brain went while reading it.

Shaggy said...

Thou hast chosen a most excellent way to show thee thy greatest humility toward thine government.

Good stuff! At least do an NAS translation, come on! :)

Very relevant to our problems today though - we all could use an attitude check when it comes to politics and government. It is difficult to have God's wisdom (what little we have) and watch the actions of our government.

SLANCE said...

I have to honestly say that I have never worried about the future and who is going to lead our nation. government has never been an issue for me...I am a little too much apathetic about it - I need to at least pray for our leaders! This really hits home for my work situation! Wow! hard to swallow...

Ryan said...

Heidi,

I posted a follow on just as a long-winded answer to some of your comment. I love your thinking on this! Exactly where I was headed.

The short version is that I believe that the government is a God-ordained institution - sometimes, like it or not.

There is a line to be drawn at the place of honoring God first.

I doubt that my wife would like to agree that my telling her "No" is honoring her, but I might do something like that out of love. However, I would saying "No" without honor would surely bring a large amount of civil unrest in our household!