Monday, December 8, 2008

Vow of Poverty?

Yes, I have not been active on the blog thing lately. Or is that no…?

I have been mostly busy with a work-related project and just have not had time to work through anything for this.

But there is a thought that I have been tossing around… so, catch! Maybe you can toss it back if you don't like it…


Last month I mentioned the Dominicans and the Jesuits. I guess the story really stuck with me. They took a vow of poverty, and dedicated themselves to serving the Lord and sharing the love of Christ. Some of them left relative comfort to do this. This kind of ministry is not for everyone but could be for anyone, and it still exists today. We see it in the lives of missionaries who are invested almost entirely in the Kingdom, not in worldly wealth.

So, we know this, but what does it mean to us – why write about this?

I was particularly impressed with the spread(s) that I found before us at Thanksgiving. On the big first meal, I ate a sample of most of the dishes that I hadn't had before (and some mashed potatoes), and that was all. I had no room left for turkey… I was pleasantly full.

This made me think of those monks… and pilgrims… and people all around the present world who regularly go without. (Not trying to start some kind of guilt trip, just me thinking…)

Is there any relation between thankfulness and the monks? I don't know if there was before now, but in my thinking there seems to be a bit of a link.

I have to align my attitude on occasion because I get attached to things here so easily. They aren't mine, I know. Just a steward… So, the whole vow of poverty is not such a long jump any longer. The true disciple holds "his" blessings with an open hand.

So, one way to think of it? I have, as a Christian, taken a vow of poverty, and as I mature and obey, I learn to invest God's blessings into those around me.

This is why I love the Holidays – it starts with Thanksgiving and it ends on a resolution…

9 comments:

Craig and Heather said...

Interesting post.

I've been thinking on a similar subject lately. Jesus talks of the sheep and the goats--and how the "sheep" showed their love for Jesus by actively caring for others.

And also there is this passage:

Luke 3:8-14 Do those things that prove that you have turned to God and have changed the way you think and act. Don't say, 'Abraham is our ancestor.' I guarantee that God can raise up descendants for Abraham from these stones. The ax is now ready to cut the roots of the trees. Any tree that doesn't produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into a fire."
The crowds asked him, "What should we do?"
He answered them, "Whoever has two shirts should share with the person who doesn't have any. Whoever has food should share it too."
Some tax collectors came to be baptized. They asked him, "Teacher, what should we do?"
He told them, "Don't collect more money than you are ordered to collect."
Some soldiers asked him, "And what should we do?" He told them, "Be satisfied with your pay, and never use threats or blackmail to get money from anyone."
***

Ryan said " This kind of ministry is not for everyone but could be for anyone, and it still exists today."
***

Perhaps, in light of what Jesus and John said, we are all called to live "the vow" in one way or another.

Heather

Ryan said...

Exactly...

My little comment of the kind of ministry might have been better worded, but I intended it to be directed to the more career missionary type.

Really, though, to whom much is given much is required... which comes down to obedience and faith. Obedience to God for each decision and faith that where He directs us, He will also provide.

It is a continual realization of God's plan for us and our utter obedience to it.

Ryan said...

Something that I am still developing is a better description of the importance of thankfulness to the Christian.

I think that part of it is the realization of just how much we have to be thankful, not only the present comforts all about us, but also the idea of our eternal status. This is just big. I don't worry, because of God's faithfulness (that I remember because of my repeated thankful prayers), for instance. I don't complain, because there is no time for that when I am busy thinking of the ways that God is taking care of me and the plans that He has for me... On and on...

Shaggy said...

There is no doubt in my mind that we should live this way in our hearts if nothing else.

Matthew 19:21
Luke 12:33
Luke 14:13
Matthew 25:31-46
James 1:27
I John 3:17

I truly believe that this is at the very heart of God - to love the poor, the lost, the sick, the orphans and widows. Good post!

SLANCE said...

hmmm...i am speechless. i really am not a good steward of what God has given me, and even more, am not willing to live "in poverty." i have a trust issue...
you mentioned a while back about being in an "impossible" situation, where we are brought to helplessness...I need that. i pray for that all the time, because i am stubborn, and i don't want to change unless i can see what's gonna happen around the corner...to live the life of Paul and the disciples.

Shaggy said...

Not to mention Acts where they sold their homes and property to help each other...

Ryan said...

I think that true thankfulness comes from a realization of just how needy we are without God. This is applicable to all aspects of our living - spiritual and physical.

It comes as we measure ourselves against the Word of God and realize how far short we fall, and how much God has done to redeem us.

I do not relish the thought of being placed in "predicaments" for any reason, except that God in His sovereignty desires to show Himself faithful. I would be careful not to tempt God either. The only place that He calls us to tempt Him is in giving.

As far as the early church goes, it was a very hard time and one in which many Christians throughout history have similarly repeated due to persecution. The Pilgrims, whether of the Seperatist or the Puritan variety lived in a similar manner both before and after coming to the New World.

This is not some sort of utopian thing, however, and the present attitudes of individuality and personal rights do not lend well to the following of the church leadership in obedience and humility. Where hearts have been whittled with hardship and burdened under prolonged persecution there seems to be a humility, selflessness and love that promotes such group survival, and in some ways thriving. I don't know of any examples of this that lasted beyond a single generation. There could be a few reasons, not all bad reasons for this.

Craig and Heather said...

Is it really a vow of poverty, or is it trading in our "monopoly money" for real riches?

Php 3:7 But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.
Php 3:8 Indeed I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ


It seems so hard to recognize that this world I can see is temporary, and the one to come is permanent.

James 1 says the brother of low degree is to rejoice in his high place (a place of suffering where he can recognize what is important), and the rich in that he is made low. (not his riches made low, he himself)

Perhaps the same idea? I don't know.

The more I strain forward to lay hold of that for which I was laid hold of (Phil 3) The less these material things mean to me.

Craig

Ryan said...

Yeah - Pretty much the same idea in my book.

We are just passing through. To me, this goes both ways in the monopoly money thing, though.

The "stuff" is temporal, and is God's to prosper or to plunder in His sovereignty. The good steward does not attach his emotions to His master's belongings. Instead, he has that open hand that allows God to work.

Luke 12: 32 My little group of disciples, don't be afraid! Your Father wants to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell what you have and give the money to the poor. Make yourselves moneybags that never wear out. Make sure your treasure is safe in heaven, where thieves cannot steal it and moths cannot destroy it. 34 Your heart will always be where your treasure is.